Pat testing or portable appliance testing is an important part of any health & safety policy. This site is intended as a guide to both the legal implications and to the technical requirements.
The Health & Safety Executive states that 25% of all reportable electrical accidents involve portable appliances. The Electricity at Work Regulations place a legal responsibility on employers, employees and self-employed persons to comply with the provisions of the regulations and take reasonably practicable steps to ensure that no danger results from the use of such equipment. This in effect requires the implementation of a systematic and regular program of maintenance, inspection and testing. The Health & Safety at Work Act (1974) places such an obligation in the following circumstances:
- 1. Where appliances are used by employees.
- 2. Where the public may use appliances in establishments such as hospitals, schools, hotels, shops etc.
- 3. Where appliances are supplied or hired.
- 4. Where appliances are repaired or serviced.
The level of inspection and testing required is dependant upon the risk of the appliance becoming faulty, which is in turn dependant upon the type of appliance, the nature of its use and the environment in which it is used.
The Institution of Engineering and Technology (The IET) publish the "Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment" (ISBN: 978-1849196260). This guide forms the basis for portable appliance testing in the U.K.
Please follow the links on this page for more information PAT testing / portable appliance testing and electrical safety testing
- IET Code of Practice 4th Edition due for publication in November 2012 more..
- Fire brigade urges everyone who has a BEKO fridge freezer to check it more..
- Product recalls of faulty goods rise by 20% more..
- Survey by the Halifax finds a quarter of second hand electrical appliances failed basic safety tests. more...
Latest Electrical Product Recall Notices
- PowaKaddy lithium batteries - Fire Risk - 11/05/15
- AC Mains Adaptor - Shock Hazard - 01/05/15
- PXP3 Slim Station - Shock Hazard - 01/05/15
- x360 AC adaptor - Shock Hazard - 01/05/15
- Lenovo ThinkPad batteries - Fire Risk - 23/04/15
- Fireball Turbofan 3000 Electric Heaters - Safety Hazard - 08/04/15
If you liked this site and found it useful, we would be very grateful if you would link to us from your website.